The Fungal Infection Trust has been supporting research training and education of healthcare professionals and scientist for over 20 years and the support of patients and their carers since 1998 and the inception of The Aspergillus Website. With increasing recognition of both the large numbers and different types of people affected by fungal disease, the trustees/directors have decided to broaden even further their scope of interest to include public awareness and advocacy on behalf of patients worldwide. These are the origins of LIFE Worldwide.
Visit the LIFE website
LIFE Worlwide’s general objectives
- Greatly increased public and professional awareness of fungal disease to facilitate earlier recognition
- Building national or regional Fungal Disease Development Plans to leverage local expertise and better harness diagnostics and affordable treatments for many more patients
- Supplement existing means of training healthcare professionals to a high level of competence in clinical care and diagnosis of important fungal infections and allergies
- Dissemination of existing, and if necessary development of novel, affordable simple diagnostics appropriate for each healthcare system and local disease burdens
- Enable global access to key antifungals (ie flucytosine and amphotericin B for cryptococcal meningitis, and itraconazole for most lung and skin fungal infections).
LIFE Worldwide will address the numerous diagnostic and treatment deficits through:
- Awareness and Advocacy
- Business engagement for sustainability
- Competitions to drive creativity - view Press Release for the Project LIFE art & music competition for ages 13 - 18
- Diagnostic development and dissemination
- Education of healthcare professionals (development and support of national centres of excellence for local leadership)
- Evaluation of efforts
The Project LIFE Competition for art students has announced a shorlist of the amazing entries from teh competition. View the shortlisted entries.